Audio/Music

HunterxHunter Ova - Ending 03 - Moshimo Kono Sekai de Kimi to Boku ga Deaenakatta Nara

DONATE TO AGE OF CHAOS: DEPTHS OF THE PAST WEBCOMIC

DONATE TO AGE OF CHAOS: DEPTHS OF THE PAST WEBCOMIC Please inform me when you donate so that i may personally thank you!
contact me through: nic_anime@yahoo.com
(please state your name/penname, how you know of me, and main reason/subject of the message in the subject/titlebox of the email or i will delete your mail)

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Week 3 - Reading: Chapther 15 - Text: Mooring Against the Tide & Story: Rainy Days and Mondays - Text: A Cat, a Hat, and a Piece of String by Joanne Harris

Week 3 Blog assignment
Mooring Against the Tide Ch 15
From Harris text:
Rainy Days and Mondays
Dryad
By now you will be coming to understand point of view and how the vantage point a story is written from will affect you as a reader. Ask yourself how you respond to the point of view in this week’s stories. What pulls you closer and what pushes you further away? Do you find that you have a favourite point of view as a reader? How might identifying this affect your own writing?         


                Chapter 15 of Mooring Against the Tide, talks about Point of View which is commonly known by it's abbreviation POV. POV is defined as a standpoint, a perspective on which a story is told. There are 5 kinds of POVs: First Person POV - where the narrator is also the protagonist; Second Person POV - where the reader is directly involved/addressed in the story, though there are not many stories in this perspective; Third Person Multiple POV - where the narrator is kind of like an observer that's seeing what is happening from different angles; Third Person Limited POV - where the narrator is similar to a tiny person who is perched on a characters shoulder, telling us how he sees the story unfold when that character he is a perched on is involved; and Third Person Omniscient POV - where the narrator is basically similar to a god, who can see everything. Our stories this week were both in first person POVs and so were the previous stories. 
               Honestly, I prefer third person POV, cause the story is told more as a whole, than just from one person's view point. If you ask me which third person POV, I would say Omniscient but it doesn't make much of a difference to me if the story is told in 3rd person limited or 3rd person multiple cause they are all POVs where the narrator is an observer and not a character who is biased to how he/she only sees things. However, it depends if the story is well told/written - I mean if it is well written, it doesn't really matter what POV it is written in cause the plot and the characters are well relayed. As a writer, I prefer and lean towards writing in any of the 3rd person POVs; but mostly it's my character who tells me what to write and not I. So however my character dictates the story should be told, I write it that way - I'm more or less just a medium, because I have little control on how I want my stories to go.

               The first story entitled "Rainy Days and Mondays" is about a rain god who happens to be a human named Arthur. Arthur lives in Manhattan, New York. He falls in love with a woman named Sunny. Sunny as you could have guessed had a very uplifting personality which contrasts greatly with Arthur's personality. Basically the story circles around this premise and is told by Arthur/the rain god's perspective. What I dislike about this is that readers don't get an idea of how Sunny feels toward Arthur - Does she return his feelings or not? Does she think the weather is odd(cause Arthur is just changing it for her sake)? Is she herself, maybe also a god (cause there is that possibility)? If this story were told in 3rd person POV, we would have more of a sense of how Sunny feels about the story and the story would no longer be centered on Arthur's perspective. I think it would be better, if told in 3rd person POV. Mondays are awful enough on their own, add in the weather condition of rain - it's a dreary start to the week. I think the title fits the story very well. I did not like how the short story involved gods cause I felt that the gods have this history which is not being told and readers are only getting a glimpse. I would like to learn more how the gods came to be in human form, why are they in human form, how many and what kind of gods are there, do the gods know of each others' existence, how do their powers really work - do they only control a certain area with their powers, and why are they not seen as gods by the normal people anymore. Other than that, I love it's fictional, fantasy feel cause the reader knows that the story is not happening in the real world but in another world - I am bias though about fiction and fantasy based stories.

3 comments:

  1. Nic, a careful reading of Mooring and one of the stories. I suggest that you look again at the difference between third person limited and omniscient. It’s large. Multiple third povs are common in novels: think LOTR, for example. There’s lots of space to wander. It’s less common in short stories, but certainly can be done. The trick is to switch for a specific amount of time, usually a minimum of two to three pages. It takes energy for the reader to switch. Nothing points out a poorly-written piece of fiction faster than having slips into one person’s head for a paragraph or so. I’m not sure you’re getting this.

    Watch spelling and punctuation.

    ZL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do know about that difference. I realize there is a big gap. I don't prefer third person limited over third person multiple that is what i meant. I was talking about preferences.

      Delete
    2. * i dont prefer third person limited over multiple and vice versa

      Delete